Instagram

Friday 19 May 2017

My Month in Sri Lanka

In July 2016 I spent a month travelling in Sri Lanka with the company Plan My Gap Year (PMGY). I decided on Sri Lanka, firstly because it was their most popular programme and I really wanted to be able to meet people and make new friends whilst away. Secondly, Sri Lanka is a beautiful country, it is full of ancient ruins, beautiful temples and amazing food. It was a no brainer that Sri Lanka would be the country I would spend a month in, especially after I read up on their programme itinerary...
Its a 4 week programme designed to give you the full experience of travelling the country for 2 weeks and during the last two weeks you have the opportunity to do some volunteering. You travel, along with the other volunteers, in a mini bus around the country guided by one of their in country team members. They were extremely helpful, informative and if you had any needs such as finding an ATM or making a stop off at a supermarket (usually for chocolate or cookies), they were happy to help.

The sorts of things you get to do are visiting elephant orphanages, Buddhist temples, climbing Lion Rock, jeep safaris, cultural dance shows, tea plantations and even taking a break and watching a lake sunset. The list of activities is endless and there is never a dull day. The volunteering is something I wanted to do specifically which is why this programme is suited to those that want a taster of travel and volunteer work. There are three projects you can choose from on this programme, these are teaching, the elephant orphanage and the turtle sanctuary, I decided to do the teaching and I am so glad I did. The children were extremely bright and although it was a challenge, seeing them learn new things or watching their smiles grow as you play a game of tag was totally worth it! In terms of teaching I'm not sure how much of an impact I made but just seeing them laugh and smile for the 2 weeks I was there, was incredibly rewarding!

Below are a few pictures (well, maybe more than a few) of my time in country.


Half way through my time, a few of us took a mini trip to the Maldives, which is also a trip run by the same company, although you have more freedom in this trip, you can organise as many or as little activities you wish to do. The Maldives, as you would expect, was extremely beautiful and everything looked like a postcard! It was the perfect trip to unwind from the hustle and bustle of Sri Lanka and just take the time to sit in the sun all day and snorkel with the fish.

We stayed on the main island Male, which is more of a local island than a touristy one. We organised a trip to an island resort where the sand was white and the sea clear blue. Other things we did were go on a sand bank boat trip where we had the opportunity to snorkel with turtles. dolphin watch and have a picnic on a completely remote island - paradise!

The Maldives was everything I expected and much more. But what made it even better was getting to share the experience with some of the people I had been travelling Sri Lanka with for the past 3 weeks.
Below are a couple photos from my time on the islands.



Taking the time to do this trip was absolutely worth it! I travelled across the world by myself, experienced and saw things I never had before and made life long friends along the way. 
Thank you for reading - I hope you enjoyed it. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Tamara. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig