Instagram

Friday 22 May 2015

My Packing Tips

Now I am someone that enjoys packing, I'm not afraid to say it. I love the excitement of getting everything together for a trip and organising it all, obviously I'm no expert but I do have a few tips that I have learnt over the past few years that help me make the most of my suitcase space and also know what I am and aren't allowed to take.

So I'm off to Barcelona this weekend and I'll be travelling with hand luggage only-usually I'd freak out about this, I mean how am I supposed to pack a selection of summer dresses, bikinis and sandals all into a hand luggage sized suitcase?! But after my last few trips away that is all I've been allowed to take so I like to think I know a thing or two!
Check your airlines baggage allowance-Most are the same but it's always a good idea to check things such as baggage weight, bags per person, size etc, this way there will be no hold up when checking in.  
Check the weather-I am always doing this because the weather is so unpredictable. Just because your going on a tropical island doesn't always mean it'll be sunny-you may need to pack a coat!
Make the important things accessible-When limited to one bag you don't want important things like passports, tickets and money at the bottom, so put them somewhere you can easily get at again to help with the flow of things.

Toiletries/liquids rules
This seems to be one that a lot of people are unsure of, I know I definitely did the first time I flew with only hand luggage. How much can I bring? What can I bring? Does mascara count as liquid? So I'm going to break it down.
-Liquids, pastes and gels all count as 'liquids'
-They will need to be in containers/bottles no more than 100ml-this isn't a combined weight, each item can go up to 100ml
-They will need to be placed in a clear, sealable bag with the dimensions of 20cm x 20cm (8inch x 8 inch). Nivea do a good one (here) or ziplock bags are fine.
-Each person is limited to one clear bag
-Must close properly with all items inside
(There are exceptions with specific items but do check with your airline for these.)

What you're packing
Make a list-The most important one in my opinion. Start by writing everything you want to pack on a piece of paper, it will make it easier to remember what you have to pack and will then double as a check list when you're done.
Check what you've already got at home-I get so excited when it comes to outfits and shoes for a holiday I end up buying a whole new wardrobe and then finding everything I've just bought at home-this might help you save money!
Packing cubes/Organisers-I first heard about these from Ingrid Nilsen on Youtube (video here) and they're amazing, you can organise everything separately clothing, shoes, underwear etc and keep it neat and tightly packed.
Fold, roll or bundle? I recommend to either fold or roll but whichever you do make sure you dont over pack just because you have the space. Over packed suitcase=creased clothing and possibly going over your weight limit.
Place heavy/bulky things at the bottom-So everything that's not clothes or toiletries (you'll be asked to present this at security), so your shoes, towels, hair dryer place them all at the bottom of the suitcase near the wheels.

So there are my tips for packing a suitcase or bag, I hope you have learnt something new and that if you have an upcoming holiday or weekend away you'll be able to utilise these tips. Please let me know if you have any future holidays or trips coming up-I'd love to hear about them! And if you have any tips yourself! Thanks for reading!
EverydayToots
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Tamara. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig